Friday, April 4, 2008

Mermaid Angel Gown

The current costume I am working on is a custom design called "Mermaid Angel." It is called an angel costume because my client feels like fairy wings are much smaller and more "constructed" than angel wings, which she sees as more flowing and liquid.

This dress is turning out amazing. I started with the skirt. First, I mixed up some colors that are a very rich marine blue and a deep teal-y green. I started at the bottom of the skirt with the darkest shades and than faded them up. The result is a very pretty abalone sort-of look. It is so pretty.

My favorite part is the bodice. The "canvas gown" is a simple floor length tulle creation and the tulle draped up around the bodice as well. I cut the tulle from the bodice and began layering the deep coloring from the skirt over each other. I finished with a coating of the most marvelous metallic pigment that gave it a perfect sheen. The spaghetti straps are adorned with tiny shells. I added some shredded tulle over one shoulder that drapes diagonally down the front of the bodice and then hangs down the left side of the skirt. I handpainted the tulle a seaweed green and it has taken on an artistic interpretation of seaweed.

The skirt has been a bit difficult. It is a lightweight satin with three layers of tulle. Coloring tulle is never easy, but it's especially tricky when you are layering colors and trying to give it all an ombre appearance. However, the time it is taking is so worth it. The skirt just LOOKS like the ocean. I have chopped the tulle layers in jagged edges and painted the edges with the deepest shades. They drape so pretty over the underskirt and blend really well.

I am still in the process of painting the underskirt. I'll also be adding an organza "tail" train in the back. I have to finish the bodice and I'm not sure what else I want to add right now. I don't want to overdo it, but it's not quite finished yet. The final masterpiece that will tie it all together will be the wings.

I hope to finish this creation by the second week of April. I'll update with pictures when it is finished.